Baked vanilla donuts

/
4 Comments
I'm currently renewing the image of my blog, so bare with me on my blog looking horrible atm. I'm a lazy fuck, I know.

I've been on a donut train lately, not because I love donuts so much, but because they're the most photogenic little things ever. Like seriously. And they kind of help me make friend since I'm not a very sugary stuff loving person. Don't get me wrong here, I sure do enjoy a good donut, I just don't do it that often. I don't have a need to. Banana bread is another story, I never get enough of that. In fact, I have 4 recipes for banana bread that are all DOPE delicious, but I can't decide which one is the best. It's the flavour vs. texture kinda thing.




I challenged myself to come up with a recipe for a donut that every single person can enjoy, no matter what kind of diet they're following, so these are gluten free, vegan, naturally sweetened, nut free, soy free, you name it and EXTREMELY DELICIOUS. My paleo friends, I'm sorry, but these sure ain't paleo. And I kinda hate you for eating 90% animal produce and calling it healthy. Go enjoy your steak while I enjoy a donut. Whatcha say about that? ;)

I did try the shit out of this recipe as I wanted it to be P E R F E C T. I've tried using different ratios of flours, oils, sweeteners etc. I found a perfect combination for me, but you can experiment with these as much as you want, just don't leave out the coconut flour as it does the major binding job. Xanthan gum is crucial in this recipe as it thickens the entire thing, I tried a recipe without it and the bater came out way to runny and hard to handle. I tried making these with light spelt flour and it just didn't work I don't know why, but I kind of quit trying. Brown rice flour + superfine coconut flour (not shredded coconut) + xanthan gum is the magic combo. And do not worry, they won't taste like coconut at all.

Also, I have been obsessed with this song. Go listen to it, it'll make your day better.

So here's some options for you :

Coconut flavoured donut : use coconut oil in place of sunflower seed oil, use coconut milk and coat these in a coconut ganache below + top with shredded coconut.

Almond flavoured donut : use almond milk with a strong almond taste and use a drop of almond extract. do the same with the ganache and top with chopped toasted almonds

Chocolate flavoured donut : add 1/4 cup cacao powder and 2 tablespoons plant milk, or just use chocolate plant milk in place of the usual plant milk

You see where I'm going with these options, but they really are endless. Below is a classic vanilla donut recipe, but you do whatever you want.

These were created as a part of a cooking project called KuhaM by Mercator.



Vegan & gluten free donuts :

1/4 cup sunflower oil (non gmo & organic please)*
1/2 cup liquid sweetener**
2 1/2 cups neutral almond milk, oat or soy milk (no rice please)
2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
8 teaspoons baking powder (I know it seams like a lot, but they do need it)
1 tsp salt

Preheat your oven to 180ºC/350F. Oil 3 donut pans with coconut oil. In a large mixing bowl cream mix the oil and sweetener until really well combined. Add the plant milk and mix until really well combined. Sift in all your dry ingredients and mix extremely well until no lumps remain - you can't overwork the gluten in this recipe. Let the mixture sit for 2-3 minutes as the coconut flour will do it's magic and thicken the bater up. After that, mix really well again and place the bater into a piping bag. Pipe the bater into the donut pan 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes. Coating options below.

* I also tried pistachio, hazelnut and ofc melted coconut oil, they all do work, but sunflower oil really is the most neutral tasting.

** I tried various liquid sweeteners and using agave will give you the most neutral result, all doe after reading this, I try to not use it much in my cooking anymore. Brown rice syrups works really well here, however I did find maple or date syrup a bit too strong.

Cinnamon sugar donut : brush the donuts with plant milk and roll in a mixture of coconut sugar and cinnamon (1 cup coconut sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon).

Sugar free ganache : 1/2 cup chopped sugar free chocolate (I used a bar I brought home from my trip to Switzerland) + 1/2 cup plant milk. Gently melt the chocolate in a double boiler and add the plant milk, mix until combined. If you can't find an organic sugar free chocolate bar I would suggest using this recipe with half cacao butter half coconut in place of it. For a peanut butter ganache mix in 1 tbsp extra plant milk and 1 tbsp peanut butter.

Pink glaze : 1 1/2 cup powdered cane sugar (or xylitol) + 1 tbsp berry juice + 2 plant milk or water (you might need a bit more)

Lemon glaze : 1 1/2 cup powdered cane sugar (or xylitol) + 4 tbsp lemon juice

4 comments:

  1. Soooo jealous of all that flours that you have!! I don't even imagine how the baked goods taste with them. They surely looks superb!

    Guess I'll have to go in Slovenia in shopping :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're relatively new to us here too so I'm chasing around with them still :D As for the taste, they taste nothing like the usual flour, kinda nutty and a bit like rice milk in a good way?

      xx Anze

      Delete
  2. Wow! Smejim se paleo komentarju;)))) in se podpišem. Jest meso živali, ki ne jedo nič prazgodovinskega je pa res ful paleo. Da o drugih argumentih ne začenjam. Res so fotogenični! A se ne okusi pecilnega, ko ga je toliko?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaz in nihče od okuševalcev ni okusil pecilnega praška, pa saj pecilni prašek je škrob in soda bikarbona, da škrob nevtralizira sodo bikarbono, vsaj tko piše joy the baker :) Paleo ljudje pa itak nimajo življenja, mislim če že jedo meso ima dost vsejedcev pošlihtano prehrano in zmeno rastlinsko, oni pa samo šopajo živali na 101 način.

      Delete