Raw raspberry coconut macaroons

/
2 Comments

Just a quick tip - PIT YOUR DAMN DATES. Date piths are blender breakers. Okay, we can continue with the post now.

There's a cafe. On the other side of the world. Down below. It's called Little birds organic. This cafe sells the most amazing raw "baked" goodies. Sweet or savoury, usual dishes rawified or cooked, still pretty amazing. It's a shame I haven't had a chance to visit it so far, but New Zealand is definitely is on the "must go" list. This cafe sells the most amazing raw macaroons. I got a chance to try the passionfruit kind. YES. THAT'S A THING. A damn delicious thing. My instafriend Hana brought me a pack and I couldn't be more impressed. They were gone within hours. 













I'm heading to the north tomorrow. I can't wait for Belgian waffles and there better be some places that sell vegan ones or else I'll move there and open a shop. And the stroopwaffles in Amsterdam. UGH I can't wait. Lots of vegans have a huge problem traveling, I said most. I'm pretty sure that only unprepared (uhmm dumb) vegans have problems while traveling. Anywhere I'm travelling, I'll always bring a shitload of raw nut/date bars and raw protein bars with me. I'll go heavy on the bananas, because they're my favourite fruit and they really fill me up. Some kind of nut butter is something I'll usually have in my backpack too. Dark chocolate - lots of it. Hummus and vegetables are a must. I'll make some kind of wraps/sandwiches, because there usually aren't any vegan meal options at airports and gas stations. Oh and plant milk - usually rice-coconut by Alpro as it doesn't go bad very quickly. When I'm there I usually ask random people at health food stores for advice on where and what to eat. If I'm at a non-vegan/vegetarian restaurant I'll usually skip the menu and order a la carte. 

There are 6 main ingredients (plus salt and vanilla) in these macaroons. All of them are raw. 5 of them start with coconut. It's kind of amazing. 

These macaroons might be a bit tricky doe. If you're using fresh raspberries add a teaspoon of water as frozen berries get some extra water from the ice. The coconut oil has to be melted - the raw way. You put it into a warm place with direct sunlight and it will melt within an hour. Coconut flour is necessary here as it's kind of the binder of this entire recipe and it's not the same thing as shredded coconut. Coconut flour is the pulp left from making the coconut milk and is therefor a lot lower in fat and it absorbs a lot more liquid. If you really can't get your hands on it, I'd suggest using ground flax/chia instead. If you want these to be completely raw, you'll have to make your own coconut milk (1 part coconut 2 parts water blended for a minute then strained) or buy a can that's certified raw. 
These macaroons are sweetened with coconut palm sugar which was sent to me by Manahrana and it's damn good. 

Raw raspberry coconut macaroons

1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
2 tablespoons coconut flour
seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 frozen raspberries
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
In a small bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Put all of the wet ingredients into a bowl of a food processor and pulse until a fine puree forms. Add the dry ingredients and pulse until fully combined. Press the mix into one tablespoon measuring spoon/cookie scoop really tightly and gently put the macaroon onto the baking sheet. Once you're done with all of the "cookie dough", put them into the fridge for 3-4 hours to set. I imagine they would be good drizzled with chocolate.

*I find 1/8 cup plenty sweet, but everyone else preferred them with 1/4 cup

2 comments:

  1. Mnjam, mnjam mnjam. To bi pa lahko naredila. Pasijonka je out of my league, maline pa sem sama nabrala inu zamrznila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasijonka je tle v Ljubljani povsod, samo domace maline iz zamrzovalnika>pasijonka z drugega konca sveta. Ampak res tako dobra. Sm jih se enkrat delu z ananasom pa mal limetine lupine, men osebno so bli se boljsi! And the pictures do these no justice even doe I take them, they're a lot pinker in person ;)

      Delete