Warm black quinoa & roasted vegetable salad

/
4 Comments

My love for October is endless. It's a perfectly balanced month. It's not too hot, but it's also not too cold. I get to wear cozy sweaters, winter socks, drink endless cups of tea and eat hearty food - what's not to like about that? There's nothing more beautiful than driving through old Ljubljana while listening to Scarborough fair (by Simon & Garfunkel) in the shades of orange and brown. Ljubljana gets all pretty and fancy in autumn. Every week I tell myself I'll bring my camera with me and take pictures of the city, but I never actually get to it. This week I will. I won't be a lazy sh*t, I'll get my camera bag and take the train to the city. I'll take pictures, lots of them. I promise.

Until then, here's pretty pictures of a salad I made a few days ago. It's perfect fot autumn because of it's heariness. It's got the crunch from the black quinoa, it's got the warmth from the roasted vegetables and it's got the creamines from the avocado and the dressing. I really liked this one, but there probably isn' t a salad in this world I don't really like. Well I actually don't like greek salad. Oops?






When MANAHRANA gave me a pound of black quinoa, I had no idea how to use it. Then I ground some into flour and made super cool muffins. But it wasn't what I really wanted to put on the blog. Another muffin recipe? I wanted something savory, so here's my cozy autumn salad.


Warm black quinoa & roasted vegetable salad salad


1 cup cauliflower florets
1/2 sweet potato, cut into wedges
1/2 cooked chikpeas
2 teaspoons coconut / olive oil
1/2 teaspoon - curry powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
1/8 teaspoon - chilli powder, cinnamon, ginger, dried parsley
salt, pepper to taste

1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 onion - chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2/3 cup black quinoa
2 cups water
1 organic vegetable stock cube

3 cups of shredded purple & green cabbage
1 avocado, cubbed

1/4 pumpkin seed / olive oil
1/2 lemon - juiced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
a clove of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
a pinch of black pepper

Preheat your oven to 180ÂșC. Toss your veggies with spices and oil and put on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden and soft. While they're roasting cook the quinoa - in the coconut oil, fry your onion and garlic until translucent, add the quinoa, toss in oil and add the water with the vegetable cube. Cook until all the water's evaporated and let cool slightly. In a small jar, add all the dressing ingredient and shake until combined. Set a large bowl, add cabbage and avocado, quinoa, roasted veggies and toss with the dressing. Serve warm.

Serves 3-4 as a main.

4 comments:

  1. This post is so lovely. And warm? (That may have something to do with your cat.) It's simple, but warm. Natural. And this recipe is just the kind of thing I've been looking for now that the cold has settled in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I was looking for something cozy, hearty and satisfying at the same time and this is what I came up with.

      Delete
  2. Wau! I just luuuuuv this new design and that you are writing on english so I can understand everything. And the photos and well, I'm thrilled &co :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much! It takes a lot more time than you would think to get a new design up. I though I was gonna be done in like a few hours, it actually took days. And I love your new design as well, the photos are amazing too!

      Delete